JALALABAD (AFP) – Gunmen stormed a government building after multiple explosions in an ongoing attack in Jalalabad on Tuesday that has left at least 11 people wounded, the latest in a series of assaults in the eastern Afghan city.
On the other side of the country a roadside bomb apparently intended for security forces hit a passenger bus and killed at least 11 people, as civilians once again bear the brunt of violence in Afghanistan.
In the attack in Jalalabad at least two blasts were heard before the attackers entered the compound of the refugees and repatriations department, said Attaullah Khogyani, spokesman for the governor of Nangarhar province.
Several foreign organisations are also in the vicinity.
As the attack began, representatives of foreign donors and agencies were wrapping up a meeting with department employees inside the building, Khogyani said.
“All the partner agency representatives attending the meeting were Afghans and those who were stuck inside, including the director of refugees and repatriations department, were rescued,” Khogyani said.
“The operation to rescue more people possibly stuck in the building is also ongoing,” he added.
Several people have been taken hostage by the attackers, said Zabiullah Zmarary, a provincial council member.
“We don t know the exact number,” he added.
At least 11 people have been wounded and a “large number” of employees had been rescued, Khogyani said.
“I saw a black Corolla car drop three armed men at the gate of the refugees and repatriations department,” a witness told AFP.
At least one of the men blew himself up at the gate and two others entered the building, the witness said.