Ahead of a European Parliament meeting to discuss the military curfew in Indian-Occupied Kashmir on Monday, Indian External Affairs Minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar said that the Indian government was planning to reduce the number of troops posted in the occupied valley.
In an interview, Jaishankar appeared increasingly uncomfortable with the questions posed on the situation in IoK, and revealed that New Delhi planned on releasing the restrictions imposed in IoK progressively.
“In the coming days you will see an easing up progressively. This should involve a reduction in the number of extra security forces [who were brought into the disputed region,” he was quoted as saying by Politico Europe.
Jaishankar also insisted that he wanted police to be sent back to their original duties soon. “Frankly they have other jobs and other things to do,” he said brazenly, side-stepping the question as to why they had been posted in the valley in such huge numbers in the first place.