WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Iran has not taken further steps to violate its 2015 nuclear deal with world powers since it renounced last month all restraints imposed by the agreement, the head of the U.N. nuclear watchdog agency said on Wednesday.
“After the fifth step, there hasn’t been any follow-up,” said Raphael Grossi on his first official visit to Washington since becoming director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency in December. “Of course, they continue to enrich.”
Tehran in July began stockpiling more low-enriched uranium than allowed by the nuclear deal in the first of five breaches that it has declared in response to U.S. President Donald Trump’s 2018 decision to pull the United States out of the accord and re-impose harsh sanctions that have strangled Iran’s petroleum exports, battering its economy.
Iran says it would reverse the violations, which have included enriching uranium to a higher level than set in the agreement and operating prohibited advanced centrifuges, the machines that purify uranium, if the sanctions were removed.